Monday, April 18, 2011

Ubuntu Linux

This is kind of a nerdy post but I have gained an appreciation for this operating system. My knowledge of computers isn't great so I was kind of uneasy trying this out after having it recommended by a friend but I decided that I'd convert my netbook to try it out. After using it on my netbook I started to like it allot more than Windows and eventually converted my main computer over. I was previously using Windows Vista, and to be honest I hated it. It was slow, had tons of pop-ups when starting up, and it always had problems with viruses and I couldn't afford to keep updating virus software. When I switched it to Ubuntu it ran faster and could do allot more things and I've never even had a virus threat with it.

If I had the money I would definitely buy a Mac but since they are more than twice as expensive as a Windows computer that is what I've been stuck with. School is expensive and I am poor, so you others like me, maybe you want to give this a try?

This is an image I took of my desktop. Ubuntu can run Microsoft Office Word almost perfectly (some of the thesaurus things don't work but there are other programs available to make up for that). In the software centre you can find free programs to do nearly everything that windows could do but it costs nothing. I have programs to record music, manipulate/add sound effects to instruments, create magazine layouts, make beats (same as FL Studio), edit movies (better than Movie Maker), edit images (with all the same things available in Adobe Photoshop), so, this program is great! It can be customised to look and work exactly how you want it to.

This image here is of the Ubuntu Software Centre. This is one of my favourite parts of the program because nearly any job that you are trying to achieve with a computer can be found by clicking on the links shown (Accessories, games, internet, graphics, sound & video, etc). This is what I use for nearly every project including image editing, video production, and most importantly (because it's what I do), writing. I like experimentation and safety for my files so this is what I have resorted to because Windows just sucks.

2 comments:

  1. that was the nerdeist thing i ever read ,,but very informative ...i think we have a young robert munch here ......kids books maybe in the making ..huh huh ..yea i think so

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah possibly except that most of my themes are pretty adult nature.

    ReplyDelete