Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reading John Updike on a Kobo E-reader

If anyone is interested, I received Kobo e-book reader for Christmas. I had wanted one really bad, and to tell you the truth, I think it’s amazing. When I opened it, I instantly started reading, nearly every chance that I could find throughout the holiday. I sound like a spokesperson talking about it, but it is truly great. It already has nearly 150 books pre-downloaded to it, like a personal library you can carry around with you. Some of the books already on it are true classics such as pride and prejudice, The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin, and loads of others. The free section even has some great picks.

Anyways, I downloaded The Widows of Eastwick by John Updike and started reading it. I love Updike’s style of writing, how he manages to dig so deep into the desires of his characters. The story takes place in the view of an elderly widow, trying to get on with her life away from her husband. It was very difficult to imagine John writing this, as he has done such an amazing job placing him-self into a female voice. One of my English teachers absolutely loves Updike, mostly I think because he is an established Canadian writer. Digging into this type of book is outside of what I would usually pick up, but the experience is definitely worth it to check out. His style, voice, and everything is just so different from the ordinary. He captures feelings in a profound depth, and the way he speaks of things that I’ve actually seen is so accurate, it nearly gives me goosebumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment